Silent Prayer and Apostolic Greeting
1 Corinthians 1:3
Call to Worship
1 Chronicles 16:8-12; 23-29
Hymn of Adoration
All People that on Earth Do Dwell, Psalm 100 (Trinity Hymnal #1)
Confession of Sin
Almighty God, we acknowledge and confess that:
- we have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed;
- we have not loved you with all of our heart, soul, mind, and strength;
- we have not loved our neighbor as ourselves.
Deepen within us our sorrow for the wrong we have done, and the good we have left undone. Lord, you are full of compassion and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy; there is always forgiveness with you!
- Restore to us the joy of your salvation;
- bind up that which is broken,
- give light to our minds, strength to our wills, and rest to our souls.
Speak to each of us, and let your word abide with us until it has wrought in us your holy will. Amen.
Assurance of Pardon
Confession of Faith
Westminster Confession of Faith 18
- Although hypocrites and other unregenerate men may vainly deceive themselves with false hopes and carnal presumptions of being in the favor of God, and estate of salvation (which hope of theirs shall perish): yet such as truly believe in the Lord Jesus, and love him in sincerity, endeavoring to walk in all good conscience before him, may, in this life, be certainly assured that they are in the state of grace, and may rejoice in the hope of the glory of God, which hope shall never make them ashamed.
- This certainty is not a bare conjectural and probable persuasion grounded upon a fallible hope; but an infallible assurance of faith founded upon the divine truth of the promises of salvation, the inward evidence of those graces unto which these promises are made, the testimony of the Spirit of adoption witnessing with our spirits that we are the children of God, which Spirit is the earnest of our inheritance, whereby we are sealed to the day of redemption.
- This infallible assurance doth not so belong to the essence of faith, but that a true believer may wait long, and conflict with many difficulties before he be partaker of it: yet, being enabled by the Spirit to know the things which are freely given him of God, he may, without extraordinary revelation, in the right use of ordinary means, attain thereunto. And therefore it is the duty of everyone to give all diligence to make his calling and election sure, that thereby his heart may be enlarged in peace and joy in the Holy Ghost, in love and thankfulness to God, and in strength and cheerfulness in the duties of obedience, the proper fruits of this assurance; so far is it from inclining men to looseness.
- True believers may have the assurance of their salvation divers ways shaken, diminished, and intermitted; as, by negligence in preserving of it, by falling into some special sin which woundeth the conscience and grieveth the Spirit; by some sudden or vehement temptation, by God’s withdrawing the light of his countenance, and suffering even such as fear him to walk in darkness and to have no light: yet are they never utterly destitute of that seed of God, and life of faith, that love of Christ and the brethren, that sincerity of heart, and conscience of duty, out of which, by the operation of the Spirit, this assurance may, in due time, be revived; and by the which, in the meantime, they are supported from utter despair.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be. World without end, amen, amen.
Prayer of Supplication & Lord’s Prayer
Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Blest Are the Undefiled, from Psalm 119 (Trinity Hymnal #557)
Old Testament: Isaiah 53
New Testament: Mark 8:27-38 (Sermon Text)
The Challenge of Saving Sinners (Rick Dickinson)
Hymn of Commitment
We Come, O Christ, to You (Trinity Hymnal #181)
1 Corinthians 11:23-26
Tithes and Offering
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
2 Thessalonians 3:16